Saturday 27 July 2013

Thing 21: Describe the most recent moment when you couldn't think of anything to say. Were you having a hard time making conversation, or were you simply dumbfounded?

Originally posted to Facebook on June 25th, 2013.

Thing 21: Describe the most recent moment when you couldn't think of anything to say. Were you having a hard time making conversation, or were you simply dumbfounded?

This is actually a fairly poignant topic for me. As a challenge for personal growth I've challenged myself to start a conversation with a stranger, but I can never figure out how to actually do that. There have been several occasions over the past week or so where I've desperately wanted to talk to somebody (through a need to challenge myself, rather than actually wanting to interact with another human. That is an important distinction), but it's incredibly nerve-wracking.

I imagine a series of really negative scenes playing out in my mind. There was one situation where a cute girl sat next to me no the bus, and I imagined that when I tried to start a conversation she publicly shamed me for hitting on her. I spent the rest of the bus ride trying desperately to avoid looking at her for fear of the imagined scene becoming reality.

So yes, I have a very hard time making conversation. Even with people I'm close with, I find it much easier to let them drive the conversation. Unless we're talking about something I've formed a very strong opinion on (like games or some moral issues), I'm really quite hopeless.

To my friends: if you notice I've become quiet, I'm not necessarily disinterested; I just don't know what to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment