Tuesday 23 July 2013

Thing 1: What can happen in a second?

Some time ago I was fortunate enough to find a wonderful little book called 642 Thing to Write About, which has a list of topics and some space to write a passage relevant to each topic. I've been working my way methodically through it ever since, and it's a great motivational tool.

What I do to keep myself on my toes is avoid looking at the topic until right before I start writing. That way I'm forced to think on the spot. I also try and mix up my style between entries so I can practice different techniques and keep the experience fresh.

The following is the first entry in the book, originally posted to Facebook on May 24th, 2013.

-----------------

Thing 1: What can happen in a second.

It took only a second.

She let the low rumble of the subway fill her as she stepped off of the platform. Time slowed as the screech of the train on the tracks and the rattling of the station's many fixtures grew louder and more violent; both harbingers of her impending freedom. The vehicle's headlights filled her eyes with blinding light, washing away the dirt and grime and ugliness of the world she was about to leave behind.

Years of depression and heartache had finally convered to this very moment. Her pain and despair were to become but a fleeting stain in the echoes of eternity as she joined her beloved once more.

It took only a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment