Wednesday 24 July 2013

Thing 15: Describe something you wanted badly and, once you got it, never used.

The following was originally posted to Facebook on June 10th, 2013. It's rather outdated now (I'm up to 513 games on Steam), but the spirit of the piece is intact.

Thing 15: Describe something you wanted badly and, once you got it, never used.

As I can't think of a creative story for this one, I'll simply use casual prose to discuss my games library.

I have 216 games on GOG.com, 470 games on Steam, and I've purchased almost every Humble Bundle, including a number of the weekly sales. I also look around my room and see boxes of games for my xBox 360, PS3, N64, Gamecube, Wii, and more recently my PS1/PS2.

Quite frankly, I love my game collection. I have at my disposal thousands of hours of creativity and innovation by developers all across the world. I could assume the role of an assassin, a knight, a pilot, or even a god, and escape the pain and drudgery of existence for as long as my heart desires. My games give me freedom, adventure, hope. Let's face it: who doesn't want to be a hero every once in a while?

The issue is that while I CAN do so, I often don't. I play a few of my games here and there, but the vastly majority of my purchases have been neglected entirely. I like to think that I'm saving them for a rainy day or retirement, as if one day I'll wake up and feel that I have enough freedom to embark on a new chapter in the life of someone else, but when it comes down to it at the end of the day, that probably won't happen. I've sat in my room a number of times, bored to tears, but unwilling to pull out one of the games I've yet to play because I'd feel bad for leaving a game that I don't want to play right now unfinished.

Or maybe I just fear the unknown. By living through someone else's story, my own story goes unwritten.

In any case, having the option available lends warmth to the dark corners of my soul. When I get a new game, my wallet cries, but my demeanor brightens. Sometimes, that's enough. I lok at 470 games I'm not going to play and I'm filled with pride. They may not be what I'm looking for right now, but I've given them a good home, with lots and lots of friends.

http://shiftwallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/I-am-a-gamer-because-i-choose-to-have-more-than-one-life-games-shiftwallpapers.png

No comments:

Post a Comment